Our highly experienced regulatory and disciplinary barristers work with both individual and corporate clients.
These cases require lawyers with multi-disciplinary experience. Our teams are at the forefront of providing a full advice service in all aspects of the legal process including:
- Direct and Indirect tax litigation
- Insolvency proceedings
- Directors’ disqualifications
- Financial regulatory compliance
- Professional Disciplinary cases
- Fraud and corruption cases
Why choose 187 Chambers?
- Our regulatory barristers will provide cost-effective legal solutions to both regulatory investigations and litigation.
- We know how to and have successfully represented companies and regulators around the world.
- We have acted for many professionals at disciplinary hearings representing accountants, solicitors and healthcare professionals.
- We hold wide-ranging experience of working on investigations and trials involving the Financial Services Authority (FSA), Department of Health, Health and Safety Executive and the Office for Fair Trading (OFT).
Examples of Our Regulatory Law Cases Include:
Our regulatory barristers act in a wide range of cases involving financial regulation, competition, medical regulation and health and safety regulation.
- R v R – Henry Hughes instructed by company directors in proceedings before Tax and Chancery Division of Upper Tribunal
- R v G – James Onalaja was instructed by Shelter and he successfully defended a civil action brought by a local authority which would have restricted the defendant’s use of local mental health services and prohibited him from using local amenities.
- DEBRR v G – our client, a high-net-worth individual was accused of financial misconduct. Henry Hughes represented and following a successful Judicial Review our client was able to resume their career.
- FCA V STEPHEN GRIGGS – Andrew Trollope KC instructed – Enforcement action against PACIFIC CONTINENTAL SECURITIES LTD for sale of securities. Representing Director and Senior Executive Officer
- FCA V JAY RUTLAND – Andrew Trollope KC instructed Enforcement action against PACIFIC CONTINENTAL SECURITIES LTD for sale of securities. Representing broker.
- FRC v X (2019) – Gideon Cammerman KC acting for an auditor investigated by the FRC arising from corporate insolvency of national importance.
- National Anti-Doping Panel v T (2018) – Gideon Cammerman KC successfully acting for boxer charged with doping offence.
- R v. Robert Pomphrett – Chelmsford Crown Court 2019 – Neil FitzGibbon instructed as a HSE prosecution following the tragic death of a concrete gang layer where a hose attached to a concrete pump lorry suffered a blockage and then released which resulted in a violent sudden release of high pressure air causing the rubber hose attached to the metal boom to whip and cause the death of the concrete layer holding the end of the hose. The defendant and his co-defendants were acquitted of all Health and Safety allegations.
- R v Madden & Ors (2018) – Greg Unwin instructed in timeshare fraud and regulatory offences prosecuted by Trading Standards.
- GPC v H – Richard Christie KC represented a pharmacist in the Court of Appeal who was permanently erased from the GPC Register following a BBC programme. He did not appear in either the GPC or the first appeal before the High Court but exceptionally obtained leave to appeal to the Court of Appeal
- GMC v X – Richard Christie KC successfully prosecuted a doctor before the GMC for illegally supplying a patient with drugs in return for sex.