Within the changing regulatory landscape and the ongoing issues around regulatory enforcement by professional Sports Bodies, our Sports Law barristers offer a tailored legal solution to the needs of our private clients in the sporting world.
Led by Andrew Trollope KC , Jason Bartfeld KC and Gideon Cammerman KC, our silks and junior barristers in the Sports Law Team have acted in some of the most high-profile sports disciplinary and regulatory investigations in recent times.
At 187 Chambers, we:
- Provide advice to both individual Sportspersons, Domestic and International Sports Clubs and Regulatory Bodies on regulatory and tax compliance, on/off field discipline, doping, dispute resolution, bribery and corruption.
- Provide representation before individual sports disciplinary tribunals.
- Support, advise and provide representation to businesses whose corporate liability is, or may be, affected by betting regulations, including the drafting of internal compliance policies for corporations.
Why choose our Sports Law barristers?
- We provide strategic advice and expert advocacy for individuals and corporate clients, at every level of proceedings.
- We have a team of expert lawyers ready to advise on HMRC tax investigations.
- Our barristers have a proven track record of defending serious and complex allegations of tax avoidance and fraud relating to Sports Clubs and Individual Sportspersons, both before Disciplinary Panels and in the Criminal Courts.
- We have represented clients before sports regulators including the Football Association (FA), Rugby Football Union (RFU), British Horseracing Authority (BHA), British Judo Council (BJC), The Gambling Commission.
- We have advised on a broad spectrum of disciplinary and regulatory issues, including issues arising from international investigations and proceedings by the Federation Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA), World Rugby (WR) and the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA).
- Our team is passionate about Sport Law and speak publicly in European Forums on the impact of fraud, doping, bribery and corruption on Sports.
Examples of Our Sports Law Cases Include:
- It’s a Man’s World Inquiry – Jason Bartfeld KC acted for the first two defendants in the biggest ever corruption enquiry conducted by the British Horseracing Authority. The case involved multiple allegations of race fixing
- British Judo Association v Alan Roberts – Jason Bartfeld KC acted for a former Olympic judo coach accused of historical sexual offences against students.
- The ‘Harry Redknapp’ case. Andrew Trollope KC secured the acquittal of Portsmouth FC CEO Peter Storrie who was charged together with club chairman Milan Mandaric and manager Redknapp with tax evasion on player transfer agents’ fees.
- National Anti-Doping Panel v T (2018) –Gideon Cammerman KC successfully acting for boxer charged with doping offence.
- Gambling Commission v X Ltd (2016) – Gideon Cammerman KC represented a director of an online gambling company cleared of wrongdoing.
- British Horseracing Authority v X (2015) – Gideon Cammerman KC acted for a jockey charged with illegal betting.
- Andrew Trollope KC gave individual presentations on bribery in football and the UEFA Fair Play regulations at the Soccerex Manchester Forum, where he was also part of 4-man expert panel in the seminar focusing on ‘Betting in Football’.