- International Criminal Court (ICC) List Counsel
- Kosovo Specialist Chambers (KSC) Specialist Counsel
- International Criminal Court Bar Association (ICCBA)
- ICCBA Amicus Committee
- ICCBA Training Committee
- International Bar Association – War Crimes Committee
- International Criminal Defence Lawyers Association
- Criminal Bar Association
- Association of Military Courts Advocates
- South Eastern Circuit
- Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn
- Amnesty International
October 2004 (Lincoln’s Inn)
- LLM with Distinction (Cum Laude) in International Criminal Law, Amsterdam Law School, University of Amsterdam
- Global Alliance Certificate in International Criminal Law, Columbia Law School, Columbia University in the City of New York.
- PG Dip., Professional and Legal Skills, Inns of Court School of Law, City University, London
- LLB (Hons), College of St Hild & St Bede, Durham University
- Keble Scholar, Lincoln’s Inn
- Hardwicke Scholar, Lincoln’s Inn
• Member of the Bar Council’s ‘Speak up for Others’ schools outreach programme;
• Involved in the training and mentoring of bar students at Lincoln’s Inn and the University of Law;
• Provides CPD accredited lectures and training to legal practitioners and other professionals.
• “Resolving the Al-Bashir Conundrum – In light of the conflicting opinion of the ICC judges on the legal basis for finding State parties non-compliant with the ICC request for the arrest and surrender of Omar Al-Bashir, are State parties to the Rome Statute under an obligation to Arrest Al-Bashir and surrender him to the ICC?” – University of Amsterdam UvA Scripties Online  – http://www.scriptiesonline.uba.uva.nl/665712
• “Day in the Life of a Barrister” – Student Law Review, Cavendish/Routledge Publishing 
• “Journey to the Axis of Evil” – Durham21.co.uk 
• Native fluency in Yoruba (Nigeria)
• Basic French
James is a keen photographer and artist. He enjoys experiencing new cultural destinations and has a passion for travel journalism. He has been awarded the Queens Golden Jubilee Millennium Volunteer Award of Excellence for his work in the community. James has sat on the boards of trustees of two charities responsible for outreach projects across North London.
James Onalaja is approved to accept instructions direct from international and UK clients on a direct access basis, without the need for a solicitor intermediary in appropriate cases.