Asset Forfeiture & Confiscation
2019: Four day contested confiscation hearing following a trading standard prosecution for counterfeit goods. Final order made for approximately a third of the sum sought by Prosecution (Defending)
- Client with a long history of drug/alcohol abuse as well as complex psychiatric issues charged with aggravated burglary, weapons offences and robbery. After advising psychiatric and psychological reports be obtained, Crown accepted pleas to affray. The sentencing court was persuaded to pass a sentence that enabled her immediate release from custody.
- Mother charged with neglect of her 11 year old daughter and her young friend, as well as assaulting a number of police officers on arrest. Having driven whilst extremely intoxicated around Kent for several hours, including driving into the front gates of a prison and causing a further RTA, her vehicle was stopped following a pursuit. After a lengthy and complicated sentencing exercise, the sentencing Judge was persuaded to impose a suspended sentence of imprisonment.
- PANIU prosecution resulting in a seven week trial, nationwide conspiracy to steal plant machinery and launder proceeds through what purported to be a legitimate company.
- Client charged with aggravated burglary, sexual assaults, weapons offences, violence and perverting the course of justice. Favourable basis of plea negotiated with Crown on day of trial meant that client received a sentence less than half of that which would have been expected after a trial.
- Convicted sex offender with low IQ and mixed personality disorder already subject to extensive supervision by the Jigsaw team accused of numerous breaches of SHPO and notification requirements, sexual offences in relation to a 10 year old boy and his mother, later charged with intimidation and perverting the course of justice despite being remanded in custody throughout proceedings. Careful, thorough yet sensitive advice to the vulnerable client throughout proceedings led to acceptable pleas of guilty being entered on day of trial and the best sentencing outcome available to the client being imposed.
- First of five defendants on indictment during seven week trial, conspiracy to burgle and conspiracy to convert criminal property.
- Causing death by dangerous driving, requiring consideration and challenge of expert evidence of client’s speed at time of impact.
- Possession with intent to supply 1 kilo of ketamine. Full analysis of the drugs seized by expert instructed by the defence established that only 4% of the powder was, in fact, Ketamine, the remainder comprising “legal high”. Although client was convicted after trial, argument advanced on the relevance of purity resulted in a suspended sentence of imprisonment being imposed.
- Voyeurism involving a 12 year old complainant who was a relative of client. Suspended sentence of imprisonment imposed following conviction.
- Wife accused of section 18 GBH – multiple slash wounds to the arms, face and neck of her husband. Background of domestic violence in the home. Following lengthy negotiations with the Crown, acceptable plea offered to section 20 wounding, no evidence offered to section 18, suspended sentence imposed.
- 20 year old baby-sitter convicted assaulting his 5 year old charge, causing significant bruising to face and head. Although client was convicted after trial, sentencing Judge was persuaded to pass a suspended sentence.
- Rape trial, necessitating detailed and complex consideration of DNA evidence of body fluids taken from complainant. Required the cross examination of Crown’s DNA expert at trial, as well as calling expert analysis on behalf of the defence.
- Client accused of raping a woman he met in a nightclub. Acquitted following painstaking consideration of hours of unused CCTV footage from numerous cameras inside the club showing the demeanour of the Complainant towards the Client for a significant period of time before they left the club.
- Large scale public disorder in Romford town centre leading to Client being one of a number of defendants charged with section 18 GBH (stabbing), weapons offences and robbery. Following detailed consideration of the unused CCTV footage, the Crown were persuaded to accept a plea to assault by beating on day of trial as it was clear that the client was not involved in the main fracas.
- Client with Asperger’s diagnosis and multiple and complex mental health issues charged with possession of a large number of indecent images of children. Sentencing court persuaded to impose a community order.
- Led junior during an eight week murder trial, client accepted witnessing co-defendant killing the deceased, did not report to police so was made the subject of an covert operation to record his interaction with the killers. Convicted of perverting the course of justice.
- Operation Kernow – 6 week “Crash for Cash” fraud trial.
- Rape of 12 year old girl by mother’s boyfriend who was living under a false identity as an airline pilot.
- Successfully argued in the Court of Appeal that a sentencing Judge had failed to give appropriate credit for guilty pleas entered in difficult circumstances.
- Half time submissions on safety of DNA evidence resulted in the evidence being ruled inadmissible, no evidence offered, client acquitted of armed robbery.
- 18 year old woman with low IQ and extensive learning difficulties, co-accused with her boyfriend of section 18 GBH and robbery following an altercation on a bus. Following careful negotiation of a basis of plea and expert reports being obtained, Client received suspended sentence of imprisonment.
- Estate agent complainant alleged that she had been stalked over a period of months by client, culminating in allegations of kidnap, false imprisonment, rape and blackmail. Thorough and detailed examination of mobile phone call records, downloads, cell site data together with extensive analysis by experts instructed by the defence resulted in the Crown accepting that the Complainants account was comprehensively undermined, no evidence offered on day of trial
- Allegations of endangering the safety of a flight from Sri Lanka to the UK, and sexual assault of members of cabin crew. Client was convinced allegations were made against him as a result of ongoing civil tensions in his homeland of Sri Lanka. Acquitted of all charges after trial.
- Step-father accused of regularly drugging his 13 year old step-daughter in order to sexually assault her. Acquitted of all charges after trial.
- Bogus “heathcare worker” targeting the vulnerable and disabled in several care homes and stealing their belongings. Following detailed advice and liaison with CPS and police, defendant pleaded guilty to all counts.
- Defendant charged with a multitude of offences committed over a three month period, complex issues arising out of fitness to plead/fitness to stand trial.
- Trial for allegations of controlling/coercive behaviour arising out of a three year period of an abusive relationship.
- Defendant convicted following trial of using plant machinery to break into a high street bank and remove a cash machine from inside.
- Multi-handed series of robberies of take away delivery drivers by defendants using mopeds as weapons. Evidence primary based on CCTV analysis.
- Multi-handed public disorder trial including allegations of GBH.
- Prosecution of woman for complex mental health background for offences of stalking, repeated breaches of a restraining order, as well as what was described at sentence as “incessant and chronic cyberstalking”. Involved extensive liaison with the complainant and her extended family who had all been affected by the defendant’s behaviour, ensuring they understood and felt involved in the sentencing process.
- Multi-handed armed robbery of an Essex business, case based entirely on cell-site and ANPR evidence showing movement and association of defendants.
- Multi-handed affray and section 18 GBH arising out of incident in a nightclub resulting in a number of women removing their shoes and using them as weapons, causing serious injuries.
- Indecent images case involving child pornography, bestiality and extreme pornography. Thorough consideration of expert reports required to prove that the defendant would have to have known of the presence of the material on his laptop and present in a manner digestible by the jury.
- Numerous sexual assaults committed by the defendant whilst using the TFL network.
2016: Large scale wheel clamping business operating across Essex, allegations of conspiracy to blackmail (Defending).
2016: Operation Mulberry, commercial supply of counterfeit goods across East London and Essex. (Defending)
Criminal Bar Association
North London Bar Mess (Committee Member)
Awards, Qualifications & Other
1995: University of Southampton Law LL.B. (Hons.)
1997: University of Southampton MA Criminal Justice
Grade 2 CPS Counsel